Monday, July 19, 2010

Ruby-throated Hummingbird Circus


We have been lucky enough to witness a Hummingbird circus at our feeders for the past 24-36 hours.

I was concerned at first that the Ruby-throats might be starting to move S this soon. And they move so quickly that it was difficult to tell if we were seeing mostly immature birds or adults. But after looking closely at the boat-load of photos & videos that I've been shooting, it seems the majority are young, immature birds that are newly fledged and on the wing now. Hungry little birds! They emptied the feeders so quickly that Stephen B. suspected a raccoon. 

Fledgling Baltimore Orioles are also feeding frequently and they consume even more nectar than the little Hummers.

So I'm finding it difficult to pack up and head back home to Hudson because I'm drawn to the action at the feeders. But it's Monday; and home is where I gotta go. There's work to be done. And there's mail to be dealt with, and bird feeders there that need tending etc.

There I will scurry around and get things done in order to return to the cabin on Friday. Hopefully these cute little birds will still be hanging around then.

2 comments:

  1. I just wish they'd land around here! We don't get ruby-throats but do get some brand. They never rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peg,

    Love your circus! Interesting feeder - I like it. Hummers are leaving now. Autumn begins.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment and thoughts.
I will leave any response here.

So please check back because I will respond to any comments or attempt to answer any questions.