Sunday, February 28, 2010

Variegated Foliage


It has now begun to feel like a long winter. And everything outdoors looks so drab and cold.
Getting quite weary of this winter weather.
But . . . . when I saw this lonely African Violet sitting on the shelf at the local grocery store, I just knew that it was my duty to rescue it!
It was in rather poor condition at the time. But some tender, loving care along with grow lights and extra misting has brought it around.
And the reward comes in the form of those hairy, burgundy stems poking up through the leaves. bringing the buds upward and onward into view.
Pink violets are not my favorite color. And I'm not all that crazy about the more complex, ruffly blossoms. I prefer the single, simple blooms.

But this is what sold me on the plant and prompted me to try bringing it home on a very cold & windy February day.  Variegated foliage ! ! !  I am so attracted to variegation in the leaves of most any plant. It's that extra dimension of beauty. And much like snowflakes, no two leaves are ever the same!

 

However that being said, it is a pretty blossom. It almost looks like a smiling face.  :-)
So now when I walk into the kitchen each morning there is a Sm:)e to greet me. 
Makes a winter day more bearable.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment and thoughts.
I will leave any response here.

So please check back because I will respond to any comments or attempt to answer any questions.