Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Pilgrimage to the Arboretum


This big, beautiful magenta colored Lady Slipper orchid was the star of the show!

The rare Phragmipedium kovachii orchid was discovered in 2002 and this is only the third one to flower in the United States. This species was grown from seed and acquired from Peruvian nurseries by Jerry Fischer, who owns Twin Cities-based Orchids Limited.


Nothing that I had read in either of the Twin Cities newspapers mentioned or prepared me for the size of this magnificent Lady Slipper! She was up on a pedestal and roped off so we couldn't get near enough for any kind of accurate measuring. But I'm certain that it was 7 inches across at the minimum.  

 
Between Stacey and I we took dozens & dozens of photographs; and believe it or not as gorgeous as this orchid may be it was not my favorite in the Great Hall of Orchids display!

So after we get together and do some selections and uploads I plan to do another post containing the variety of Orchids that we had a chance to see.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment and thoughts.
I will leave any response here.

So please check back because I will respond to any comments or attempt to answer any questions.