




These are just some of the contents of this small wooden trunk Stacey found in the attic of the 'old' part of the house in Lakeland.
'History' and heartaches.
V-Mail that both interesting and heart-breaking.
In a V-Mail letter from North Africa dated May 23, 1943 - Dad writes:
"Dear Father, I got a letter from Helen the other day and she was telling me that they now have a service flag in Lakeland. I think that she said there were 51 stars on it. I didn't know that there were that many in the armed forces from Lakeland.
That flag must be pretty darned nice, where do they have it hanging?
I hope I can get back soon so I will be able to see it."
Mom & Dad were married on May 25, 1944 after the war had ended.
But what hits home with me the most about this discovery is how much I miss my Dad.
While I couldn't afford to fly to Kansas when he was fading away, I wish now that I had started walking there.
Maybe I wouldn't feel such regret today.
Odd thing is that he & I discussed the 'what ifs' before he went to Kismet again; but somehow I never expected to have such lingering regrets.
On the bright side, there are lots of wonderful letters from several generations.
The V-Mail is heart-wrenching. And I feel even more pride, if that's possible, for my Dad's service during WW II.
Love you, Dad.
p.s.
No matter how many different approaches I tried in editing this post, the photos are always in the reverse order that I had intended. So I've given up on that.
Is 'as is'.
Love you, Dad.
p.s.
No matter how many different approaches I tried in editing this post, the photos are always in the reverse order that I had intended. So I've given up on that.
Is 'as is'.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comment and thoughts.
I will leave any response here.
So please check back because I will respond to any comments or attempt to answer any questions.