Sunday, November 1, 2009

Pair of Red-headed Woodpeckers & their Fledglings

This pair of Red-headed Woodpeckers terrorized any & all comers to our feeders for an entire summer!

But the upside of their terrorist reign over our food source was that we were able to watch them raise this lovely pair of fledgling woodpeckers.

They chased off all of the other woodpeckers, Blue Jays, Nuthatches etc.
Drastically diminished the numbers of birds I was able to watch out the window.
Only the brave little Chickadees were unafraid.

I called them the "bully birds" for most of the summer.
And found myself quite disappointed when they did not return the following spring.
Ironic . . .

Posted via email from maw's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment and thoughts.
I will leave any response here.

So please check back because I will respond to any comments or attempt to answer any questions.