Monday, January 26, 2009

2-headed Trumpeter Swan


Thanks to the open water on the St. Croix caused by the Alan S King plant, we have the opportunity to watch a large number of Trumpeter Swans during winter.
However, it seems unnatural for them to not migrate S to places where Mother Nature herself would provide the open water they need to find their food.
Here in Hudson, they are dining on corn courtesy of their human friends. And as much as we love to watch Trumpeters in their natural settings, during the winter on the river they live almost a barn-yard lifestyle.
When it is quiet indoors, I can hear them honkin' as they fly over the house. Such a wonderful trumpet. ! !
When we are out shoveling the sidewalk & driveway, we watch them as they go past overhead. Majestic in flight.
But I just cannot bear to walk down to the river to observe them; because it breaks my heart to see them in such an unnatural state.

1 comment:

  1. I love the photographs on your blog, Peg. They really speak to the detail of nature.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment and thoughts.
I will leave any response here.

So please check back because I will respond to any comments or attempt to answer any questions.